A sink strainer prevents debris and objects from entering and clogging a sink’s plumbing. It is typically made of metal or plastic and fits into the drain opening at the bottom of a sink. The strainer has a basket or screen that catches any debris, such as food particles or small objects, that may be washed down the sink. Sink strainers are commonly used in kitchens but can also be used in other home areas, such as the bathroom or laundry room.
Types of Kitchen sink strainer
There are several types of kitchen sink strainers available, including:
Basket strainers: These are the most common type of sink strainer and are designed to fit into the drain opening at the bottom of the sink. They have a basket or screen that catches debris and can be removed and emptied as needed.
Stopper strainers: These strainers have a rubber or silicone stopper that fits into the drain opening and can be used to stop water from flowing through the sink. They also have a basket or screen that catches debris.
Magnetic strainers: These strainers have a magnetic base that attaches to the bottom of the sink and a removable basket or screen that catches debris.
Disposable strainers: These strainers are made of a flexible material, such as silicone, and are designed to be used once and then disposed of.
Stainless steel strainers: These strainers are made of stainless steel and are more durable and long-lasting than other types of strainers. They are also easier to clean and maintain.
Kitchen sink strainer sizes
The size of a kitchen sink strainer depends on the size of the drain opening in the sink. It is important to choose a strainer that fits properly in the drain opening to ensure that it functions properly and does not allow debris to pass through.
Sink strainers come in a range of sizes to fit different drain openings. Standard sizes for kitchen sink strainers include 3.5 inches, 4 inches, and 4.5 inches in diameter. Some sink strainers may also be available in custom sizes to fit specific drain openings.
Measuring the size of the sink strainer
To determine the size of the strainer you need, measure the diameter of the drain opening in your sink and select a strainer that is the same size or slightly larger. It is also a good idea to check the manufacturer’s specifications or instructions to ensure that the strainer you choose is compatible with your sink.
To measure the kitchen sink strainer basket, you will need to first remove it from the sink. Here is how you can do it:
- Locate the basket strainer in the drain opening at the bottom of the sink.
- Look for a small tab or lever on the side of the strainer. This is usually used to hold the basket in place.
- Using a flathead screwdriver or a similar tool, gently pry the tab or lever up to release the basket.
- Carefully lift the basket out of the drain opening.
- Measure the diameter of the basket by using a ruler or tape measure. Place one end of the ruler or tape measure at the outside edge of the basket and measure to the opposite side. This will give you the diameter of the basket.
How to install a kitchen sink strainer?
Installing a kitchen sink strainer is a relatively simple task that can be done with a few basic tools. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install a sink strainer:
- Gather a sink strainer, pliers, a flathead screwdriver, and a putty knife.
- Use the putty knife to clean debris that may be stuck to the sink around the drain opening. Now apply a thin layer of putty around the bottom of the strainer to cover the entire surface.
- Place the strainer into the drain opening and press it down to fit properly.
- Now tighten the mounting nuts by hand and then use the pliers to give them an extra turn.
- Finally, run some water through the sink to test the strainer and ensure it is functioning properly. Add more putty if the strainer is not sealing properly or is leaking.
Sink strainer vs. basket strainer
A sink strainer and a basket strainer are both devices that are used to prevent debris in the drain pipe. However, they are slightly different in terms of their design and function.
A sink strainer is a device that fits into the drain opening at the bottom of a sink and has a basket that catches any debris. It is typically made of metal or plastic and can be removed and emptied as needed to keep the drain functioning properly.
A basket strainer, on the other hand, is commonly used in kitchens, but it can also be used in other areas of the home, such as the bathroom or laundry room.